Warrior's Refuge

A friendly community for fans of the Warriors series.

You are not connected. Please login or register

NEW BLOOD-Born of Smoke & Fire

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Phantomstar57

Limerick
♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦
CHAP 11: TRAPPED
♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦
PART 1

Kyestorm roused herself from a vague dream, when the trickle of running water reached her ears. She opened her eyes. Bright morning light slanted into the warrior’s den, and Kyestorm caught a whiff of warm air, tinged with the scent of soil. Somewhere in the territories, the sun heated exposed ground. She untangled herself from Demonstone’s body and walked out into camp. The sun shone stark on the deep snow from a deep clear blue sky, but warmed her back. She eyed the sun, and judging its position in the sky, saw New Leaf finally arrived, if only by the clues of seasonal norms. The trees, however, disagreed, and not one bud broke, though many swelled, signaling promise of the changing season. She located the sound of dripping water, and noted a little riverlet cascading down the rocks not far from Bramblestar’s den. At the foot of the rocks, a tiny spot of soil, leaf litter and rocks broke through the melting snows. Kyestorm stepped out into the snow, and instantly felt the change. Soft and wet, it collapsed on itself, turning to slush under her large paws.

“Ugh,’ Kyestorm yowled, and flattened her ears. She hated this time of year, with the constant mud and slush. For the last several days, the sun melted snow, only to allow the cold nights to re-freeze it into hard crusted ice. Kyestorm understood the familiar cycle, though many of her Clanmates thought it utterly unusual in how long it persisted.

“We may not see the ground for another moon at this rate,” Spiderleg grumbled, shaking his paws as he stepped out into the sun-warmed slush.

“There is a spot there under Highledge. Smaller prey is reappearing,” Birchfall commented. “I love venison, but I do miss a plump squirrel, mouse, or bird!”

“We wax fat and happy,” Cherryfall added, and Kyestorm noted how everyone looked sleek and healthy, not gaunt and tattered, the way she remembered them upon arrival here almost a full suncycle ago.

“The benefits of deer meat,” Kyestorm quipped, shaking her feet.

“I hope we can catch those every Leaf Bare,” Cherryfall said, glancing at the nursery. “We’re all healthy and well fed, so, we should fill up that nursery your mate worked so hard to enlarge.”

“I hope so,” Kyestorm inhaled, catching the joyful scent Cherryfall radiated. “Are you carrying?”

“I think so!” Cherryfall mewed with excitement, then lowered her voice. “I don’t want to say just yet, until the medicine cats confirm!”

“I think Sparkfire is, too,” Kyestorm replied in a delighted whisper. “Demonstreak barely leaves her side.”

“What about you?” Cherryfall asked. “I know you want more kits. We all know!”

“Maybe.” Kyestorm flicked her tail, trying to quell her disappointment. “I don’t feel anything, though it may be too soon to tell.”

“Kyestorm,” Bramblestar’s voice interrupted. Kyestorm whirled in a spray of slush to face her Clan Leader. Bramblestar’s amber eyes twinkled with amusement, and continued. “Care to join my patrol today?”

“Yes!” Kyestorm answered. “It would be an honor and a pleasure.” She lifted her lip to expose the tips of her fangs. “I shall out hunt my son.”

“Good!” Bramblestar laughed outright. “Both of you probably need practice hunting smaller prey.” Bramblestar sobered. “We also will check the border with WindClan. Someone is threatening our deerskins.”

“Really?” Kyestorm flattened her ears, baring the tips of her fangs. “Who dares?”

“We are not fully certain.” Bramblestar heaved a deep sigh. “The most prominent scents belong to Harespring and Furzepelt. But nobody has caught them there.”

“Do they think to steal one?” Kyestorm asked.

“They’d best not,” Phantomstrike commented, coming up beside his mother. “Those belong to us!”

“Does Onestar know?” Kyestorm growled.

“I don’t know,” Bramblestar replied. “He may not, but at the next Gathering, I will bring it to his attention. But today I want to check the border thoroughly, then hunt. Though we’ve been at peace in the moons since the coyote attack, we should keep up protocol. Let’s grab some fresh kill before we go.”

“Good idea,” Kyestorm agreed, and headed to the prey resting on the Feasting Rock. A fat squirrel lay with a tiny fawn, along with several mice. “Those little deer are wasting no time trying to reproduce.”

“Smaller prey is running well,” Bramblestar said, as Squirrelflight joined him. She flashed Kyestorm a quick feline smile, and bared the tips of her fangs.

“We wax as fat as kittypets!” she commented. “I wish we hunted deer long before now, but, still, how many of us do we need, to catch one, let alone take it down?’

“You know how now,” Kyestorm remarked, taking a mouse. “Lionblaze and some of the larger warriors can take one down as long as you have a swift warrior to make the initial attack.”

“True,” Squirrelflight nodded, then snapped up a mouse, replying between her teeth. “But it’s still difficult without you, your huge sons and mate!”

“But worth the effort, and if all goes well, more huge kits will be born to the Clan,” Kyestorm retorted with a snort. “Are you patrolling ShadowClan’s border today?”

“Yes,” Squirrelflight answered, a twinkle in her green eyes. “I’ll send Indiclaw your regards.”

“Thanks.” Kyestorm chewed on her mouse. “Please don’t take her gruff attitude the wrong way. She does it only for show.”

“We know,” Thornclaw quipped, joining them. “Who in their right mind will take offense and actually fight her! We tease her and she knows, but Great StarClan, she puts on some show for her Clanmates.”

“I call her big bunny rabbit ears!” Spiderleg joined the group. “She almost breaks the facade. No worries, Kyestorm. Your daughter loves you, her father, her brothers and the rest of us.’

“Stop worrying, Kyemama.” Greywind entered the conversation. “My milk sister is a big softie inside.”

“I try not to, but, one day I know we’ll all revert to old habits of fighting over silly things. I hate the thought I may have to face my daughters someday in battle. I just can’t stand it.” Kyestorm shook herself, and swallowed the last of her mouse. “I’m ready.”

“Don’t worry about what you can’t change, Kyemama,” Gentleoak’s soft voice broke the awkward quiet moment. “New Leaf comes. Enjoy this sunny day. Should be fine hunting.”

“It will be!” Demonstone joined the group, and grabbed the little fawn. He tore a piece for himself, then thrust the remaining half at Demonstreak, who trailed him. “Give this to the Elders.”

Demonstreak took the offering and trotted through the soft snow to the elder den, where Purdy watched with interest. The elder’s voice drifted over the camp.

“Thank ye youngin” As fat n sassy as yer great huntin’ makes me, I don’t want te step’n te cold slush. Me mates here agree. We’ll feast like kings and queens.”

Kyestorm held back laughter as Graystripe, Millie and Sandstorm helped Purdy drag the fawn chunk into the den.

“Ugh,” Phantomstrike startled her. “With no apprentices in camp, guess who has to clean up the Elders den now?”

“The youngest warriors,” Kyestorm mrrowed with mirth. “Don’t worry. Kits are on the way, including your brother’s.”

“That will take moons before those kits apprentice!” Phantomstrike mewled and stalked away to join Squirrelflight’s patrol. Kyestorm flagged her tail over her back, and met her mate’s gaze.

“Are you going on patrol?”

“Yes,” Demonstone answered, his eyes sparkling with anticipation. “I’m with Lionblaze’s patrol today. We’ll check the western border for rogues or other possible invaders. If any badgers live up there again, they’ll have to deal with me! And our son.”

“If they’re smart they’ll run away,” Kyestorm licked his muzzle, pride welling up in her heart. She glanced at Demonstreak, who trotted out of the elder den, tail flagged above his back.  “I’m so happy you have the strength for this.”

“I do. I’m just not the fastest runner under StarClan, but I don’t need to be.”

“He sure doesn’t,” Cinderheart quipped. “I wish I could get the hang of throwing rocks! My paws are too small.”

“It’s all in the technique,” Demonstone said. “You can still toss small pebbles accurately and scare any enemy.”

“I’m still practicing,” Bramblestar chuckled, then raised his voice. “All patrols, let’s get a tail shake! Sun-high approaches!”

Bramblestar set off, exiting the camp. Kyestorm followed, flanked by Demonstreak, who glanced at back at Sparkfire, who dutifully tended the elder’s den.

“She’ll be fine,” Kyestorm purred. “You know Bramblestar put her on that duty to keep you happy.”

“I know,” Demonstreak pranced with anxiety, before settling into a more efficient stride. “She’s not the biggest queen in the world, and I worry about her having trouble if her kits are as big as we were.”

“We have the finest medicine cats in the territories,” Greywind’s voice assured the young tom. Thornclaw, Greywind and Spiderleg trotted up behind him, and Kyestorm exchanged glances with her clanmates and milk son.

“She’ll be fine,” Kyestorm added. “We’ll all be there for her if she runs into trouble. Don’t worry and let’s concentrate on our jobs.”

“You’re right, Kyemama,” Demonstreak flicked his bushy black tail. The patrol headed northeast to the border, following well worn trails in the snow. Mud and leaves mixed with the slush. Kyestorm shook her feet.

“Must you do that?” Thornclaw complained. “I’ll need to groom for a week to get that off!”

“Sorry,” Kyestorm muttered. “I hate slushy mud.”

“Me, too,” Demonstreak mumbled. Kyestorm glanced back at her son, noticing he copied her motions. Mud and leaf litter sprayed back across the trail and on the banks of snow to each side.

“I’ll be happy when it re-freezes,” Greywind commented, staying well ahead of his milk brother.

“I can’t wait until it all melts and New Leaf dries it all up!” Thornclaw retorted.

“Oh, great Starclan, “ Bramblestar startled them all with a hearty laugh. “You all act like you’ve never dealt with a little mud before. Focus. We start at that northernmost corner and remark the banks of the stream. Check carefully for invader scents, especially fox and coyote.”

“Sorry, Bramblestar,” Thornclaw grumbled. “But you must admit, this is one heck of a mud season with all this snow melting, freezing, thawing.”

“It’s not as bad as that flood,” the ThunderClan leader remarked, and the older warriors murmured agreement. Kyestorm nodded, barely recalling the storm that ravaged the land shortly after she and Demonstone arrived from across the Great Waters. She remembered the screaming winds, scent of the Great Water, and nonstop rains that battered the windows of the stout cottage, while she and Demonstone snuggled with their housefolk, warm, dry and safe. She eyed the deep snows which still covered the territory.

“I prefer a blizzard to what you went through,” Kyestorm mewed softly.

“I’m not certain I would,” Bramblestar commented. “At least not back then. If not for you and the venison, this Leaf Bare might have killed us all with starvation or illness. But this slush and slow melt isn’t as bad as either the storm or the blizzard itself.”

Kyestorm stared, unsure of how to respond. Bramblestar nodded, and continued forward. The patrol followed, and Kyestorm concentrated on the task before her. She scented every exposed twig, rock and log, and marked each in turn. The patrol moved downstream, and Kyestorm kept alert, hoping to meet her daughter again, but no WindClan patrol appeared. By time the sun passed sun-high, and sent long shadows across the snow, the patrol reached the mouth of the stream where the deerskins lay on the rocks. Kyestorm examined the skins while her clanmates yawned.

“They look fine, Kyemama,” Demonstreak meowed. “Time to do a little hunting.”

“Those are old tracks,” Thornclaw added.

“They could just be degraded by snow melt,” Kyestorm growled, picking up the very faint scent of Harespring.

“They’re fine,” Spiderleg said, and uttered a laugh. ‘Come on fuzzy ears. Let’s hunt. I need a meal and a good nap!”

“Young buck!” A cry from Greywind stopped all banter. “Hurry! It’s fiesty!”  

Kyestorm’s clanmates whirled as one. Bramblestar led the charge up the hill, vanishing into the snowy forest. Kyestorm stood, rooted to the snow, suspicion growing fast in her mind. As much as she wished to hunt that combative buck, Harespring’s scent filled her with outrage. She circled the skins, and spotted a set of tracks heading toward the stream mouth.

“Tresspasser,” she growled deep in her chest, and followed the tracks. To her disgruntlement, Harespring’s scent grew stronger. She studied the skins again, and noted one appeared missing, a fawn skin. She caught a whiff of Furzepelt and her anger bubbled to the surface.

“Cowards! Thieves! Where are you?” she snarled, coat bristling with wrath. A soft startled yowl attracted her attention and she spotted the fawn skin floating along the lake shore. The wind caught the edge of the skin, lifting it to reveal Harespring and Furzepelt racing beneath it. Kyestorm’s rage burst from every hair on her body. She crossed the stream mouth in three leaps, and pursued the robbers. She bounded across the slushy shoreline, and dashed across the frozen lake, her surefooted paws slinging slush off the ice, creating an arc sparkling in her wake. She gained on her prey, yowling, “Foxhearts! Little rat thieves! Bring that back!”

Kyestorm heaved for breath, pushing her body to its limits, driven by outrage and hate. Every leap brought her closer to the WindClan robbers, as they entered the frozen swamp bordering RiverClan lands on the other side of the half bridge. She charged past the bridge, gaining with every leap. They suddenly veered up the lakeshore onto the hill, then turned toward RiverClan territory. Kyestorm plunged ahead, racing to cut them off, ignoring a niggling question as to why her enemies carried their stolen item to another clan’s territory. A flash of alarm ripped through her as her thundering paws hit soft ice beneath the slush a foxlength from shore. Her instincts screamed at her, and she thrust all four legs forward in an attempt to stop. Her momentum carried her ahead, and she slid along the weak ice, then broke through into a pool of thick, sticky, nasty muck.

Phantomstar
Author of Warrior fan fiction,
NEW BLOOD-Born of Smoke & Fire and all its spinoffs and one shots. 
Author of KHAN: A MAINE COON

Those who refuse to learn from the past--are condemned to repeat it. In a truly free society, individuals succeed or fail by the consequences of their conduct

http://www.mariejsphillips.com/

Phantomstar57

Limerick
CHAPTER ELEVEN

PART 2

Kyestorm uttered a yowl of dismay, and tried scrambling out of the hole onto the grassy tussocks poking out of the thin snow cover, which lined the shore, but her paws and legs stuck fast, holding her in place, with mud up to her belly. She struggled against the muck, but failed. It slurped and squelched, until it held her in a firm grasp. She gasped for breath, and turned her attention shoreward. Harespring and Furzepelt stalked toward her, eyes baleful, jaws split in pleased grimaces. She bared her teeth in fury, yanking herself against the mud, but it sucked at her body like a housefolk’s vacumcleaner. They halted on the grassy tussock at the edge of the muddy hole. She realized they planned and led her into this, trapping her like a mouse in a warrior’s jaws.

“Cowards! You can’t fight me like true warriors?” she snarled in fury, twitching her legs, trying to free herself, but the muck pulled her back, sealing her in its firm vacuum grip. Cold seeped into her paw and legs, creeping up her limbs. Harespring advanced, bristling, eyes gleaming with delight and malice.

“And you can’t wack us over with just one blow now. Yes, yes, for many sunrises we plotted and fussed with this little hole,” he sneered. “We knew those precious skins would get you to follow us. Now I’ll show you how things will be.”

“Trickery! Cowardice! You betray the warrior code of honor,” Kyestorm hissed in outrage.

“No, we rid the clans of you!” Harespring jeered, balancing on a tussock, and reached out with a forepaw. Kyestorm snapped her jaws, trying to catch his paw in her teeth. She missed, and his paw slapped down on her head, shoving her muzzle into the mud. Alarm shot through her and she jerked her head free, realizing her total vulnerability. She railed at herself, for allowing such mousebrains to trick her. Harespring smacked her head again, this time pushing  her whole face in the mud, and uttered a gutteral growling guffaw.

“This is for the sand in my eye!”

Kyestorm attempted to hiss, but inhaled gritty thick mud. Her entire body convulsed with terror, and something kicked in her belly, sending another wave of shock through her. Kits! That sure knowledge lanced through her, and she flung her head back, closing her eyes as Harespring’s claws raked her face. She opened her jaws and shrieked to the skies.

“DEMON BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!” She reverted to her mate’s old name, and the desperate cry reverberated across the lake, echoing in the hills.

“They’ll never get here in time,” Harespring yowled in glee, and jumped on her back. She sank deeper into the mud as he shoved her head down again with both paws. She screamed again, but her voice cut off when her head went under again. She flattened her ears, but  icy muddy water trickled in anyway. Her kits kicked, reacting to the threat, and Kyestorm reared again, adrenaline giving her the strength to fight Harespring’s weight.

“Kyemamaaaaaaaaaaa!” Smokewind’s yowl echoed across the lake.

“Kyemamaaaaaaaaaaa!”  The cry repeated, this time from across the swamp from RiverClan territory, and Kyestorm recognized Bluefrost’s shriek.

Kyestorm uttered an inarticulate wail, struggling to buck Harespring off her back. She felt the mud creep higher on her body with each move. Through the muck in her eyes, she spotted Smokewind racing like a deer across the lake, followed by her brothers, with ThunderClan and WindClan warriors many many foxlengths behind her. Slush and ice shards flew up behind the black smoke Maine Coon warrior, sparkling in the late after-noon-high sun.

“Kyemama! Hold on!”

“Kyemama!” She heard Bluefrost’s yowl again from inside the swampland, and saw her ripping across the tussocks, followed by Mistystar and RiverClan. From over the lake she heard Indiclaw’s answering wail. Her daughter led ShadowClan across the lake. Kyestorm felt a spark of pride in ShadowClan’s trust in Indiclaw’s instincts.

Kyeee!” Demonstone’s high pitched screech reverberated in the hills, and she saw him charging from far across the lake. Lionblaze and his patrol followed, flanking the giant Maine Coon tom, who ran with surprising speed. She saw his claws flash as he gripped the ice, propelling himself across the frozen surface with all the strength in his massive legs. Cats converged on the spot from all sides of the lake, but Kyestorm feared Harespring might succeed in drowning her before anyone reached them. Cold clawed up her limbs into her body, soaking past her thick fur.

“Stupid kittypet,” Harespring snarled, and shoved her head down again. She inhaled a breath, before he held her head down. Kyestorm held her breath until her body screamed, then  gagged and choked, unable to muster the strength in her neck needed to shove him off.  Her lungs burned, and just as she lost control, exhaling in big sloppy bubbles, the weight on her neck suddenly lifted. Snarling, screeching and hissing echoed in her clogged ears. She flung her head up, gasping and coughing, shook her head violently clearing the mud from her ears, and saw Harespring running up the hill back toward WindClan land.

Smokewind barreled across the open land, snow spraying like a huge tail in her wake, followed by Oatwing,  Demonstreak, Phantomstrike, and the rest of WindClan. Greywind led the rest of ThunderClan foxlengths behind. Harespring swerved down toward the broken bridge to evade the tall smokey black Maine Coon warrior’s charge.

“He’s mine! Help Kyemama!’ Smokewind screamed at her mate and brothers, who halted near the fencing where Furzepelt cowered. Unable to match Smokewind’s great speed, cats stopped to watch Smokewind’s fury. All four Clan leaders stared, exchanging glances, but nobody moved. Onestar glanced Smokewind, and only nodded. Kyestorm watched, with shock and deep delight, her daughter’s reactions.

Rage flamed in Smokewind’s gold eyes, as she turned on a clawtip, and charged the former WindClan deputy. She smashed into a desperate Harespring at the bridge, and before his body barely struck the wood, she snapped him up by the scruff of the neck. Without a slowdown in stride, Smokewind flew to the end of the wooden structure, massive paws pounding, dragging and bouncing Harespring on the icy wood, ignoring his screaming and hissing. She skidded to a halt on the very edge or the bridge, and, with a twist of her head, flung Harespring out onto the lake. He screeched in terror, flying through the air, then hit the lake with a thud. His head thwacked against the hard ice beneath the slush, and he slid along the surface like fresh kill, until the slush covered him, stopping his momentum. He lay motionless. Furzepelt stood up near the fences lining the Horseplace, eyes wide in astonishment and fear. Smokewind looked back at her, fangs bared, eyes blazing, pelt bristling until she resembled a bear from the land across the Great Waters. Furzepelt dropped to the ground, in complete submission from afar. Demonstreak and Phantomstrike left the terrified Furzepelt, and headed down the hill.

“Help me.” Kyestorm gasped for air, finding it difficult as the mud sucked at her body, draining her warmth and energy. Demonstone galloped over to her, his golden eyes ablaze. Bluefrost hopped from tussock to tussock until she sat close. Demonstone reached over and grasped her by the scruff and pulled. The mud yanked back. His muscles rippled under his thick pelt as he hauled backward, and Kyestorm kicked her legs, but the muck held her in place like cement.

“Its gonna kill me!” Kyestorm wailed. “Help! My kits!”

“Kyemama, relax everything,” Bluefrost said. “ Splay your toes a few times, then paddle your feet very slowly, like you’re swimming.”

Kyestorm obeyed her daughter, and to her relief, the swimming motion and Demonstone’s strength released the mud’s hold on her with each tug he took. Indiclaw grasped her nape right beside her father, and helped to pull. Kyestorm’s skin screamed, until she felt Bluefrost’s paws pushing her from behind, and glanced backward. Bluefrost pushed, with leverage from big blue hind paws planted firmly on the tussock behind the mudhole. Troutleap nimbly jumped up beside her to help. Phantomstrike amd Demonstreak joined their sister on the tussock, obeying her every command. Their enormous paws joined Bluefrost’s and Troutleap’s and they pushed. Demonstone and Indiclaw pulled. Kyestorm’s forelegs broke free of the trap in a spray of muck and a resounding pop. She hooked her claws in the exposed grass clumps, and hauled herself out of the hole and lay still, gasping for air.

“Kyemama!” Indiclaw cried, Snowsquall at her side.  Most of ShadowClan stood behind her. “Who did this? Who slashed you face?”

“Harespring,” Kyestorm answered in a gravelly snarl. “I hope he’s dead!”

Kyestorm staggered to her feet, and looked at the slush-covered bundle of fur out on the lake. She moved slowly, to join Smokewind on the bridge and leaned her head against her daughter’s chest. Her family and Clanmates followed.

“Thank you, thank you, my beautiful, swift, daughter.” she purred in raggedly, shivering, with mud covering everything except her back. Her tail hung limp, soaked with icy muck.

“I heard your first hiss of anger and saw you from up on the hill. I sounded the alarm call and came to you as fast as I could run. That piece of crowfood jumped off you when he saw me coming closer!” Smokewind inhaled a sobbing breath, licking the mud and blood off of Kyestorm’s face. “But I was almost too late! ”

“Come now,” Gentleoak spoke up, pushing his way forward, amber eyes stern. “We have to get Kyemama home and in the medicine den. She’s carrying kits.”

“What about him?” Oatwing asked, eyes narrowed, as he walked up beside Smokewind. He pointed his tail at Harespring, overriding the surprised murmurs of delight at the news of Kyestorm’s pregnancy.

“I’ll take him back to camp,” Kestrelflight answered. “If he’s alive, we care for him. If he’s dead, we bury him.”

“He deserves no warrior’s vigil,” Kyestorm snarled suddenly. “He and Furzepelt tried to kill me and my kits!”

“He deserves banishment or death,” Bramblestar snapped, uncharacteristically harsh. He stepped up beside Kyestorm, and met Onestar’s gaze.

“I agree,” Onestar nodded, glancing at Smokewind.  “But allow us to bring him back to camp and deal with him, and his accomplice.” Onestar raised his voice. “Furzepelt!”

The terrified she-cat crept down the slope to Onestar, shaking , ears flat, fear scent radiating from her like stench off carrion. Kyestorm growled deep in her chest, anger flaring, despite the cold which crept into her bones. Furzepelt dropped and exposed her stomach to Kyestorm and Smokewind.

“Please! I’m so sorry! I didn’t know you carry kits!” Furzepelt babbled in desperation.  “I’d never ever kill kits!  Don’t kill me!”

“Give me good reason why not?” Smokewind stepped up to Furzepelt and planted a huge black paw on the she-cat’s belly. She spread her long toes, revealing white tufts, and unsheathed wicked claws, poking them into the she-cat’s belly. Furzepelt wet herself, and wailed.

“He was deputy! I was loyal to him, wanting to be his mate one day.” Furzepelt lost control of her bowels in terror. “I don’t now! I’m sorrrrryyyyyyyyy!”

“Ugh.” Smokewind withdrew her paw, and grimaced with loathing. “Glad you two never mated and had kits! We need warriors, not fox-hearted cowards.”

“If you are truly sorry,” Onestar growled. “Then you will not only take care of the elders for moons to come, but be at Smokewind’s beck and call for seasons to come. She meows, you leap. Understood?”

“Yes,” Furzepelt squeaked like a scared kit.

“Then get up and clean yourself,” Onestar commanded. “Get back to camp and tend the elders. Nightcloud, please escort Furzepelt to camp.”

“Yes, Onestar,” Nightcould wrinkled her nose, but walked back to WindClan camp with Furzepelt, who stopped often to groom herself. Nightcloud refused to share tongues, and waited with flattened ears, until the disheveled she-cat decided to keep walking.

“He is still alive,” Kestrelflight announced, dragging a sodden Harespring up the shore and deposited him at the edge of the bridge. Smokewind growled, her entire body trembling. Kyestorm echoed her daughter’s deep-chested rumble. “He’s out cold. I can’t in good conscience, just leave him to freeze to death.”

“If that ice cracked, he’d be just where I wanted him,”Smokewind snapped, baring her teeth. “The piece of rotten nasty stinking crow-food he was.”

“Sister,”Gentleoak interrupted, and a glint off humor swirled in his amber yes. “If he does come to, he may not be the same cat he was. He may have brain damage, or physical handicaps. Those might be a punishment worse than death or banishment. Let Kestrelflight take him.” Gentleoak turned to look at Bramblestar. “If you agree?”

Bramblestar nodded, a scowl on his face. Smokewind gazed at her brother a long moment, then flattened her fur. Her tail deflated, and she looked down at her unconscious enemy.

“Fine, take him.” Smokewind curled her lip, meeting Kestrelflight’s gaze. “But if he ever speaks ill of, or tries to hurt Kyemama again, he dies.”

“Agreed,” Onestar nodded, then glanced at Crowfeather. “Escort them home and get him in the medicine den. When he wakes, he has much to answer for.”

“Yes, he does,” Crowfeather nodded, and moved off.

“If he ever is a problem ever again to you, your clanmates, or your kin,” Onestar said, leveling his gaze on Smokewind. “ He is yours to do with as you wish.”

Smokewind responded with a purr of approval. Kyestorm trembled, cold seeping into her mud-soaked fur.  She moved past her daughter to the end of the broken bridge, and gave in to the impulse to violently shake out her thick fur. Yowls of surprise echoed over the lake as those closest to her moved hastily out of the rain of muck. Her thick fur stuck out in, and the breeze sliced its way past the wet clumps. She shivered, and coughed, spitting out mucous and mud.

“We gotta get you home,” Demonstone’s soft tone muttered in her ears. “Before you catch green cough.”

“Come on, Kyemama,” Phantomstrike pressed against her side. “Let’s go.”

Indiclaw dashed up to Kyestorm, uncharacteristically demonstrative, rubbing her face on Kyestorm’s and licked the furrows on her mother’s face that just missed the eyes. Kyestorm gazed at Indiclaw in surprise, but said nothing, and enjoyed the rare physical contact with her cantankerous daughter.

“I love you, Kyemama,” she mewed, then turned and returned to Rowanstar, and moved off with ShadowClan. Rowanstar caught her gaze, eyes solemn, and he nodded. Indiclaw glanced back several times. Kyestorm caught sight of RiverClan vanishing into the swamp, and Bluefrost paused to look back, and waved her bottlebrush tail, then followed her clanmates. The Clan slowly drifted apart, going back to their camps.

Kyestorm moved toward home, pressed between her mate and son, shivering violently. Just ahead of her, Demonstreak and Sparkfire blocked most of the wind. Kyestorm moved along the lakeshore with her Clanmates. The sun balanced on the treetops, and the slush crunched underfoot as temperatures plummeted below freezing.. WindClan veered off toward home, and Smokewind paused before following her clanmates. She waved her tail in a farewell before bounding up the hill toward WindClan’s camp. Kyestorm followed her clanmates across the stream, and she sighed, glad to reach ThunderClan territory. She allowed them to guide her into the medicine cat den, where Jayfeather hurried to her.

“What happened?” he asked, anger rumbling his voice. “You’re shivering terribly. We have to warm you and your kits up.”

“Harespring stole one of our deerskins, and Kyemama gave chase. He trapped her in a mudhole, and tried to kill her,” Gentleoak snarled the answer, anger flashing in his amber eyes. His coat bristled, and his ruff framed his head until he looked like the ancient lions of old.

“What possessed that fool to do this?” Jayfeather growled, his expert paws going over Kyestorm’s body.

“Smokewind should have killed him on the spot,” Phantomstrike ranted, and lay down beside Kyestorm, pressing against her. Demonstreak stretched out on the other side, and vigorously groomed his mother. Demonstone stood in front of her, cleaning her head, ears and sodden ruff. Sparkfire squeezed beside her mate, and groomed Kyestorm’s shoulder.

“Oh, your poor bunny ears,” Kyestorm recognized Spiderleg’s voice and opened her eyes. He stood behind Greywind, who lay on his belly, grooming Kyestorm’s chest. His amber eyes met hers, and she saw real concern shimmering in their depths. Sudden anger clouded his visage and his eyes flared golden fire. “If he’d succeeded. . .”

“He didn’t,” Kyestorm answered, comforted by the love and concern of her clanmates, all of which crowded in the medicine den. “My strength still gave me enough time to let all of you reach me, but next time he attempts something like that,” Kyestorm snarled suddenly with bubbling wrath. “He dies!”

“Indeed he will,” Bramblestar’s voice lifted her gaze as ThunderClan’s leader stood beside Spiderleg. His amber eyes blazed with indignation. “He is lucky Smokewind got to him first. Otherwise we’d have torn him to pieces.”

“Great StarClan!” Jayfeather’s voice rang out in frustration. “Is every cat in this clan crowded in here? Get out! I need to work!”

“Regain your strength,” Bramblestar touched his muzzle to Kyestorm’s head. “And stay strong and birth those kits come Green Leaf.”

“I will,” Kyestorm purred, as Bramblestar motioned with his tail, clearing out most of her anxious clanmates. Her family moved not a muscle. Leafpool hurried forward and offered a selection of herbs.

“Take these.  We will prevent green cough, white cough, and anything else that chill and stress may bring,” she ordered. Kyestorm obediently ate the medicines, smacking her lips at the taste.

“So we are having kits?” Demonstone asked between tongue strokes. Kyestorm nodded.

“Yes,” she murmured, before her voice rose. “I didn’t know until I was stuck in that cold mud.”

“That fox-hearted mouse-brained murderous fool, “ Demonstone growled. “He almost killed kits, too.”

“But he didn’t,” Sparkfire spoke up. Her green eyes sparkled. “We’re having kits, too, Demonstreak and I, and so is Cherryfall. Gentleoak, Leafpool, Rainsleet, and Jayfeather won’t let you get sick. In Green Leaf, the nursery will be delightfully full of kits. We are all family now, as well as Clanmates.”

“Yes, we are,” Kyestorm relaxed, feeling safe and loved. She drowsed, and voices grew distant, as many tongues cleaned her pelt and stimulated her body to warmth. Her clanmates’ outrage turned to anticipation and joy, as talk of kits filled the medicine den around her. She listened to the wind whistling outside, and she wondered when the cold weather might give way to New Leaf warmth. A brief question crossed her mind, stirring up concern. Where did the coyote menace hide, and when will the attack come? She shivered, and not from cold.

“Eat this,” Poppyfrost’s voice commanded. Kyestorm looked up into her friend’s face. Poppyfrost dropped a hunk of venison by her paws. Greywind moved over to make room.

“I am starving!” Kyestorm exclaimed, sinking her teeth into the meat. She tore off chunks, gulping them down, feeling it replenish energies lost to the mudhole. As her belly filled, her clanmates’ chattering voices and warm raspy tongues offered comfort and security, burying her niggling anxieties.

Phantomstar

Those who refuse to learn from the past--are condemned to repeat it. In a truly free society, individuals succeed or fail by the consequences of their conduct

Phantomstar57

Limerick
♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦♦
CHAP 12: COMPLACENCY

PART 1

Kyestorm sprawled out in the spacious nursery, her kits feeding at her ample belly. She yawned, and glanced outside, where warm early Green Leaf sun slanted across camp from the east. Not a flake remained of the snows which covered the territory even a mere Moon ago, a half moon before she birthed this litter of kits. None suffered from Kyestorm’s cold mud bath at the paws of Harespring. Kyestorm purred with amusement.

“What is so funny, Kyemama?” Sparkfire’s soft voice startled her, and Kyestorm turned her head. Her son’s mate gazed at her, blinking lazy green eyes full of question. Her five fuzzy kits; red smoke Firekit, black and white Willowkit, ticked red and black Sunkit, silver and gold dilute tabby-tortoiseshell Shimmerkit, and black Seedkit, nursed with gusto.

“Just thinking about Harespring,” Kyestorm answered, her purr increasing as she beheld her grandkits. “Since he recovered from the head injury, he’s actually been a model warrior. I wonder if he remembers anything.”

“He got off easy if he recalls nothing,” Cherryfall retorted with a snort. Kyestorm gazed at the red tabby she-cat.  Five kits nursed at her  belly; dark red tabby Applekit, bright red tabby Redkit, blue-grey and white Icekit, cream Spiritkit, and black Dustkit.

“He’s terrified of Smokewind, so he must remember something,” Poppyfrost added, from the other side of Cherryfall. Kyestorm glanced around the huge nursery, noting how crowded the new den became over this New Leaf. Poppyfrost nursed a large brood of six; golden-red tabby Orangekit, tortoiseshell Hazelkit, little black Fiercekit, golden-red brown tortoiseshell Spottedkit, cream long-haired Berrykit, and tortoiseshell Poppykit.

“I hear Furzepelt avoids him, won’t  be near him, and he is so befuddled,” Rosepetal chimed in. Kyestorm glanced her way. The dark cream queen met Kyestorm’s gaze, her eyes sparkling in the din light. “His apologies at the last gathering were so pathetic.”

“He remembers bits and pieces,” Sparkfire meowed. “And nobody lets him forget any detail of his atrocity. “

”I hope his memory does come back enough that he’s haunted for the rest of his miserable life,” Kyestorm growled. “I’ll never forgive that mousebrain for almost killing me and my kits.”

“We’re all grateful he didn’t succeed,” Rosepetal murmured.

“He could have killed my kits without killing me. Then I’d have killed him.” Kyestorm mumbled, staring at Rosepetal’s kits. Of the four, long fuzzy-pelted kits, Blackkit stood out all in black. Petalskit sported a dilute predominantly cream tortoiseshell coat with petal-shaped white markings, but Oakkit and Duskkit, colored in golden brown tabby, told her who fathered the brood.

Kyestorm remembered Rosepetal’s birthing of her kits, and how she shrieked to StarClan as each huge kit came into the world. Gentleoak assisted Rosepetal with his usual stoic demeanor, but Kyestorm saw anxiety flicker in his calm amber eyes as he helped each kit. With his great skill he eased Rosepetal’s pain, and insisted she eat borage for milk production. He treated each queen with the same nestside manner, his healing purr loud and deep, infusing every queen with calm and assurance. He never favored Rosepetal. Kyestorm felt pride mixed with annoyance. Not one cat lost a kit under his care, and all nursed gustily. Kyestorm met Rosepetal’s wide eyes again, and the queen shook her head in silent plea. Kyestorm flattened her ears briefly in agreement, but she hated hiding anything.        

“Have you named them yet?” Sparkfire asked, her eyes lighting up, distracting Kyestorm. “We all named ours half a moon ago!”

“Yes, what are you waiting for? You must name them before their eyes open!” Cherryfall exclaimed. “You must have some idea.”

“I’m just a bit undecided. But yes, I should.” Kyestorm looked at the entrance. “Daisy?”

“Yes?” Daisy raised her head, and Kyestorm noted her two new kits, black Spiderkit and dark cream long haired Sandkit snoozed.

“ It’s time to name my kits.”

“Of course, and about time!” Daisy meowed with delight. She stood up, careful not to disturb her kits, and sauntered to the entrance. She stuck her head out, and her voice echoed across camp. Demonstone’s answer floated in on the breeze as Daisy returned to her nest.

“You could have yowled for assistance,” Kyestorm admonished her, eying the entrance as Rainsleet peeked in, a scowl on his features.

“I am right outside,” Rainsleet added, his blue eyes gleaming, his silvery grey fur rippling down his back. “Either I am, or Gentleoak is, at any given time. Plus we have warriors at your beck and call when we have other matters to tend to.”

“Sorry,” Daisy mewed. “I have been nurse for so long, I can’t help it!”

“We know, but you have kits now,” Kyestorm said, then nodded at her milk son, who in many ways reminded her of Indiclaw. Rainsleet withdrew his head, and Kyestorm returned her attention to Rosepetal.

“Such adorable kits,” Kyestorm mewed. “They’re as fuzzy as mine.”

“Oh, we all know Phantomstrike is the father,” Cherryfall chortled. “Demonstreak is too besotted by you, Sparkfire, to even look at another she-cat.”

“True,” Kyestorm grumbled, slapping her bottlebrush tail against her nest. “But. . .”

”Hallo!” Demonstone’s high but loud voice thundered in the den, stuffing Kyestorm’s retort back down her throat, as he strode in. He blocked all light for several seconds before laying down beside Kyestorm. She rubbed her cheek on his face.

“Time to name our kits,” Kyestorm mewed, dropping her gaze to her large litter of furry behemoths.

“Autumnkit,” Demonstone suggested, his golden eyes shining with pride and delight, as he nuzzled his red tabby daughter.

“I like it,” Kyestorm purred, then licked a golden-shaded and white kit. “What about this unusual girl?”

“She looks like my sister, Sunny Angel B, who was that rare coloration,”  Demonstone answered, touching his nose to the she-kit. Faint, dark tabby stripes marked her golden patches.  “How about Angelkit?”

“Perfect!” Kyestorm mewed, then nuzzled a black tomkit. “Ravenkit.”

“Yes,” Demonstone agreed, then touched his  nose to a pretty silver tabby shekit. “Winterkit. Her base color is so pale she looks like snow.”

“Yes, Winterkit,” Kyestorm murmured, and licked a dark red-shaded she-kit. “Maplekit.”

“Yes,” Demonstone purred approval, but the other queens all inhaled sharply. Kyestorm looked up, and stared at each, wondering why they all gaped at her with wide eyes and slack jaws.

“What?” Kyestorm meowed, feeling her forehead knot into a scowl.

“Are you sure you want to name her that?” Poppyfrost asked.

“Yes, why?”

“Well, it’s. . .”  Poppyfrost trailed off and glanced at Cherryfall. She slanted her ears back, part in shame and fear. “You, you aren’t naming her after, after Mapleshade, are you?”

“Of course not!” Kyestorm snapped. “Back home Maples were stately gorgeous trees turning bright red, orange and gold in Leaf Fall.”

“I’m sorry. . .” Poppyfrost mewed. “It brings back some painful memories.”

“She’s not named after Mapleshade, and won’t be evil,” Kyestorm growled with annoyance.  

“Sometimes we forget names don’t transfer personality,” Daisy chimed in. “Notice though, with one exception, the lack of kits named Tiger in the Clans?”

“I like the name.” Kyestorm flattened her ears into her ruff with stubborn defiance. “We’re not remembering that nasty she-cat. We’re honoring something from the land over the Great Water.”

“I like it, too,” Demonstone interjected. “Glorious red, like the trees in our old home in Leaf Fall. That is what we name her for. It is done.”

Kyestorm purred, relaxing as each queen turned their attentions to their broods. A gentle breeze wafted into the den, ruffling Kyestorm’s fur, and sighing in the woven den walls. Light filtered through slits in the lower walls as the sun rose higher in the sky. Thin streaks of sunlight beamed into the den, illuminating the queens and their kits. Kyestorm admired her mate’s handiwork as breezes filtered through the narrow openings. Demonstone licked her face, and his gold eyes glowed in the low lighting.

“We fill the Clan with our offspring, who have offspring of their own.” Demonstone spared Sparkfire and Rosepetal a feline smile, blinking slowly. Rosepetal’s eyes widened, but she said nothing. “If those coyotes do come back to pester us, we will be prepared.”

“Do you think so?” Kyestorm voiced her concerns.

“Of course,” Demonstone said.

“We’ve heard nothing of them at all since the howling by the horseplace in New leaf,” Poppyfrost added. “Maybe they moved away.”

“Many think so,” Kyestorm grumbled. “But it’s foolish. They’ll come back, probably with a whole pack.”

“Prey is plentiful this Green Leaf,” Demonstone mewed. “They have no reason to come back.”

“We have so many kits,” Daisy shifted nervously, and both of her kits mewled. “What if they realize this and come for them?”

“They’ll have to go through me." Demonstone bared his teeth, his ruff mantling. Kyestorm growled full agreement.

“What do you think of all your grandkits?” Kyestorm changed the subject, not wanting to worry about coyotes. Demonstone purred, his eyes roving Rosepetal’s and Sparkfire’s litters.

“They are all magnificent,” Demonstone replied, and laugher shook his purring. “I ‘m so sorry, mothers to my kits’  kits, to make your birthings so difficult.”

“Worth it, and Gentleoak helped so much,” Sparkfire returned the purr, but Rosepetal’s eyes dilated. She flattened her ears. Demonstone rose, and went to her, then licked her head.

“My son is proud,” he whispered, and Rosepetal glared at Kyestorm.

“You told him?” she hissed, and silence fell over the nursery. Only the wind singing through the slots in the den walls filled the air until Kyestorm reacted after a moment of surprise.

“I didn’t have to,” Kyestorm spat back.

“Then how would he know Gentleoak is prou. . .” Rosepetal snapped her jaws shut, eyes wide in dismay.

“We never lie to each other, and,” Demonstone paused, lowering his voice. “And it is obvious who the father is. I asked him. He simply acknowledged the truth.”

“Gentleoak? You had kits with one of our medicine cats?”  Cherryfall yowled in disbelief.

“You didn’t think!” Daisy spat. “Now Gentleoak will be demoted! How stupid! He’s the best medicine cat I’ve ever seen! Each and every one of us had the least painful birthing despite some huge kits, because of him! What have you done?”

“But Leafpool had Jayfeather, and is still a medicine cat! Both of them are great too!” Poppyfrost protested. “Maybe that rule needs some changing.”

“Bramblestar will be forced to strip Gentleoak of his duties because he has kits!” Cherryfall argued, ears flat to her skull. “It’s a conflict of interest!

“No!” Kyestorm snarled. “He shows Rosepetal no more consideration than he does the rest of us!”

“Easy for you to say,” Daisy retorted. “You’re his mother! And Sparkfie birthed his brother’s kits!”

“Did he show less care for you than Rosepetal?” Kyestorm’s voice thundered in the nursery, high and sweet no more. “He took excellent care of all of us!”

“What is going on in here?” Rainsleet poked his head into the den, light green eyes wide, his long silver-grey pelt rippling down his body. Kyestorm growled as the nursery silenced.

“Stupidity,” Kyestorm answered, glaring at her milk son. Another shadow fell into the nursery and Kyestorm recognized Bramblestar’s form. The Clan Leader stuck his head in.

“Everyone hears the screeching. What is going on?” Bramblestar glanced around. Kyestorm glared back, as all the kits nursed, nonplused by the arguing.

“Sparkfire!” Demonstreak’s voice carried into the den, as he slipped up beside Bramblestar. “Is everything all right?”

“Tell him,” Kyestorm grumbled at Rosepetal, digging her claws into her nest.

“I can’t!” she wailed, her dark cream fur bristling. One of her kits, Blackkit, mewled. Bramblestar narrowed his eyes, and Kyestorm realized he sensed the seriousness of the moment.

“No lies!” Kyestorm snarled. “I hate lies! It brings nothing but trouble! Tell him or I will!”

“Tell mer what?” Bramblestar commanded, a growl rumbling his voice.  His amber eyes flashed.

“My kits, well, they. . .” Rosepetal faltered, her eyes wide with dread. “Oh please! Don’t punish us!”

“I’ll have to know your crime,” Bramblestar replied, and Kyestorm saw a flicker of understanding in his eyes. “Your kits, you say? Are they by another Clan tom?”

“No,” Rosepetal mewed.

“They look like Sparkfire’s half Maine Coon kits,” Bramblestar noted, and flicked his ears. “They aren’t Phantomstrike’s?”

“No. They’re, they are Gentleoak’s,” Rosepetal admitted in a pitiful mewl.

“I knew it,” Demonstreak meowed, his voice full of joy and triumph. Kyestorm glared at her son, but he only grinned a beaming feline smile, tips of fangs bared, eyes closed.

“You had kits with one of our medicine cats?” Bramblestar growled sharply. “You do know that is against the code! You endangered his position.”

“Why?” Kyestorm burst out, unable to keep her feelings on the subject quiet.  “This same stupid rule almost cost Leafpool her life’s work! I know the stories! The lies caused by it almost ripped the Clan apart!”

“It is law,” Bramblestar snapped at Kyestorm. She mantled her ruff, not backing down from her leader.

“Is it? Is it truly part of the Code, or is it just a long tradition?” Kyestorm lashed her tail. “Look at Jayfeather and Leafpool! Mother and son! Two of the best medicine cats in all the Clans!”

“Leafpool regained her status only because of great need,” Bramblestar argued.

“Doesn’t that prove something?” Kyestorm braved the angry glitter in Bramblestar’s eyes. “Does she favor family over any other warrior? Does Gentleoak? No! A deputy can go back to duty after her kits apprentice and even a leader can have kits with the deputy taking over until the kits apprentice! Why waste a talented medicine cat just because they have kits?”

“Well. . .” Bramblestar’s expression turned thoughtful.

“I think my grandfather would agree with Kyemama,” Sparkfire spoke up, her mew soft.

“What under StarClan is going on in here?” Another cat pushed past Branmblestar and Kyestorm met Squirrelflight’s sharp green eyes. “What would my father agree with?”

“That we shouldn’t waste a medicine cat’s talents just because they have kits!” Kyestorm  meowed forcefully.

“What medicine cat had kits?” Squirrelflight hissed, her pelt bristling. Kyestorm sensed her sudden dismay and shame over long ago events.

“My son,”Kyestorm announced, braving the deputy’s flaring eyes. “Gentleoak and Rosepetal had a fling. I’m sure they never expected anything from it.”

“It only takes once! Just ask my sister!” Squirrelflight spat. “What were you thinking?”

“Didn’t you both learn?” Kyestorm spat back in frustration. “Your sister is a fine medicine cat with two fine sons, one of which is an extraordinarily gifted medicine cat! Her daughter died a hero! But think what the lies did to all of you. I’ll not let my son suffer the same!”

“But. . .”  Squirrelflight stared, until Sparkfire interrupted her.

“I agree with Kyemama,” she purred, licking one of her kit’s heads.  “Firestar would agree that lies and secrets only bring pain. Leafpool had kits. She is still a medicine cat and rightly so. Maybe this tradition needs re examination. Things are changing, beloved parents, and we’ll need to change to face the ongoing threat. The coyotes may be gone for now, but they’ll be back.”

Kyestorm purred approval as Bramblestar and Squirrelflight gaped at their daughter. She noticed the entire Clan gathered behind their leader and deputy. She saw Spiderleg drop prey on the fresh kill pile, before he hurried over. A patrol returned, lead by Thornclaw and joined the knot of listening cats. The elders poked their heads out of the Elder den, ears twitching in the silence.

“You sound like your grandfather,” Bramblestar meowed with a laugh.

“I refuse to lie,” Kyestorm recognized her son’s soft voice as Gentleoak nudged past his clanmates to enter the nursery. His amber eyes glittered with resolve, and he settled next to Rosepetal. “We may not be mates, but I refuse to let my kits grow up not knowing their father.”

“Are you willing to give up your medicine cat duties because of it?” Squirrelflight asked, her voice curt.

“No, never,” Gentleoak faced the deputy. “I’d only be a decent warrior only because I’m so large. My fighting skills are, well, lacking despite training. I’m a superb medicine cat and everyone knows it. Why would I give up what StarClan chose for me to do in life?”

“It is our code,” Squirrelflight argued, lashing her tail, obviously filled with mixed emotions. “Maybe you could relinquish your duties for a while. . .”

“No,” Gentleoak bared the tips of his fangs. “Never. If you don’t want me to be your medicine cat, I can go elsewhere.”

“If you do, I go, too,” Kyestorm interjected in a forceful growl.

“But you have kits!” Kyestorm recognized Spiderleg’s voice. She peered past the throng to meet his gold gaze. The dismay dilating his eyes softened her heart.

“Sorry, my friend, but we’d go if Gentleoak does,” Kyestorm mewed, and Demonstone nodded his head.

“As would  I,” Demonstreak said, his eyes on his mate. Sparkfire raised her head, defiance in her eyes.

“I would go anywhere with you, Demonstreak,” she meowed firmly. Gasps went through the entire Clan.

“We could form our own Clan,” Demonstone rumbled. “If you reject my son, and his kits. I’m certain my daughters would join us.”

“Great StarClan,” Bramblestar erupted. “Nobody is exiling anyone! Let’s settle this now, before we go to the next Gathering. We must make a decision and be united on it. Once the kits fall asleep, I want Kyestorm, Sparkfire, Rosepetal and Poppyfrost to come out here. Daisy and Cherryfall, watch over the kits. Demonstone, alert me when the kits are asleep”

Bramblestar withdrew from the nursery. Squirrelflight followed, and Kyestorm listened to their low voices arguing back and forth, echoing in the camp beyond. Cats returned to their business, and murmurings rippled through the ranks, but no loud yowls of discord erupted from the clan.

Kyestorm inhaled a deep breath, her heart racing, wondering what Bramblestar brewed in that mind of his. She worried how the Clan might react to Gentleoak’s apparent violation of the warrior code. She groomed her nursing kits, eager for them to snooze with full bellies. She glanced at Rosepetal, who avoided her gaze.  Kyestorm  harbored no desire to leave the Clan she loved, and prayed to StarClan that her Clan acted with common sense.

Last edited by Phantomstar57 on June 11th 2015, 1:38 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Get rid of format code)

Phantomstar

Phantomstar57

Limerick
  CHAPTER TWELVE

PART 2

Phantomstar

Phantomstar57

Limerick
SAVE

Phantomstar

Phantomstar57

Limerick
SAVE

Phantomstar

Phantomstar57

Limerick
Save

Phantomstar

Phantomstar57

Limerick
Save

Phantomstar

Phantomstar57

Limerick
SAVE

Phantomstar

Phantomstar57

Limerick
Save

Phantomstar

Phantomstar57

Limerick
Save

Phantomstar

Phantomstar57

Limerick
Save

Phantomstar

Phantomstar57

Limerick
Save

Phantomstar

39 NEW BLOOD-Born of Smoke & Fire on June 11th 2015, 1:54 pm

Phantomstar57

Limerick
Save

Phantomstar

40 NEW BLOOD-Born of Smoke & Fire FAN CORNER! on June 11th 2015, 1:57 pm

Phantomstar57

Limerick
FANS
of NEW BLOOD-Born of Smoke & Fire!
Separated Segments

Last edited by Phantomstar57 on June 11th 2015, 2:45 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : adding fan!)

Phantomstar

41 Re: NEW BLOOD-Born of Smoke & Fire on June 11th 2015, 2:23 pm

separated segments

Quatrain
Fan me?? :3

Sσ ǀ ωαтcн тнє ѕυммєя ѕтαяѕ тσ ℓєα∂ мє нσмє
Not yet. sou gotta live <3

42 Re: NEW BLOOD-Born of Smoke & Fire on June 11th 2015, 2:37 pm

Phantomstar57

Limerick
Sure! Have done so! The Fan section is after the last save! Page 3 I think! Thanks so much!

Uh oh-just saw you're not showing up! Trying to fix it! Gah-I can't get your SN to show up!! Help anyone? What could I possibly be doing wrong?

AH--finally got it!!!

Phantomstar

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 2]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum